Friday, November 14, 2008

Freezer Recipe - Crockpot Taco Chicken

This was one of our favorite recipes from my freezer cooking business, and my friend Laurie just asked me for it. It is so very versatile and only five ingredients. From my typical Costco packaging, I can make three of these meals - one for now, one for the freezer and one for someone else. The other beauty of this recipes is that it combines two of my loves: freezer cooking and crockpotting. Wear a flirty apron (another fav of mine) while preparing and think of me!!

Read about my Supper Swapping Group, the Chill MAMAs, on our blog.

Crockpot Taco Chicken
For each recipe, label a one-gallon freezer bag and fill with the following:

3-1/2 cups diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced green chiles (small can)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (handmade, bulk or one small packet)
1 teaspoon cumin

Rinse two pounds of boneless/skinless chicken thighs and add to bag. Massage bag to combine ingredients well. Squeeze all possible air from bag, seal and freeze.

To Cook: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Place contents of bag into crockpot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours/high for 3-4 hours, or until meat shreds easily.

Serving Suggestion: Heated tortillas with assorted toppings: shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, diced onions, olives. Also a great tostada filling or topping for taco salad.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 107 Calories; 3g Fat (23.6% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 707mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

10 comments:

Paula said...

That sounds wonderful! I love to cook in my crockpot this time of year. Going to have to try that one!

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

Shawnee I have given you an award. You can stop by my blog and check it out.

Jody said...

Great sounding recipe! I have also given you an award....

Beth said...

Sounds great! I'll be trying this recipe soon!

Yarni Gras! said...

that sounds good.......I bet it would shred easily too for soft tacos, etc......thanks for sharing.

Nina @ 12 • Sassy said...

Sounds really yummy.....do you need to cut up the chicken prior to freezing?

Shawnee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shawnee said...

No need to cut the chicken. Just layer in and it will shred once it's cooked. ENJOY!

Brandey said...

Did you use a can of diced tomato or fresh? I'm making this for my dinner swap group.

Shawnee said...

Canned diced tomatoes is what I use ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...